News Flash

City Source Edmond - News Releases & Stories

Posted on: May 3, 2022

Work on Phase III of Intelligent Transportation System begins May 9

Work on Phase III of the City of Edmond’s Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) begins May 9 and will result in periodic traffic lane closures while work is being completed.

The project includes modifying traffic signal light components at 22 intersections along the 15th Street corridor from Santa Fe Avenue to I-35. Other locations include the Kelly Avenue corridor from 33rd Street to Danforth Road and the Santa Fe Avenue corridor from 15th Street to Danforth Road.

Work consists of installing 14 miles of fiber optic cable, 51 miles of various size electrical cable, 22 traffic signal cabinets and controllers, 3 school zone cabinets and controllers, 54 flashing yellow left turn arrow heads, 172 pedestrian signal displays and push button system with ADA audible messaging for the visually impaired, CCTV cameras, infra-red vehicle detection system, bicycle detection system, emergency pre-emption system and 22 battery backup units.

Modifying these intersection signal lights will bring them into compliance with the National Transportation Communication for Intelligent Transportation System Protocol (NTCIP) standards. These intersections will connect to the Traffic Management Center via fiber optics and wireless communication network that was installed under phase I. After completion of the phase III project, 68 percent of the traffic signals in Edmond will be following the latest standards while the remaining 32 percent continue to run off older unsupported technology.

The Oklahoma Department of Transportation (ODOT) awarded this 450-calendar day project to Traffic and Lighting System, LLC in the amount of $11,263,086.33. Edmond received $7,434,277 in federal money while the remaining $3,828,809.33 is from the 2000 Capital Improvement Sales Tax Fund. ODOT has hired Freese and Nichols engineering firm to handle the daily inspections and project oversight. The City also will have a representative on site to ensure the contractor builds the project according to plan documents.

The contractor will begin with installation of conduits to house the fiber optic cable at I-35 and 15th Street and work their way west towards Santa Fe Avenue. The contractor will change out the signal cabinets on Sundays to minimize traffic disruptions.

###

Back to City Source

SEE MAP
Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in City Source Edmond - News Releases & Stories

Fretz Drive Closure set to begin Sept. 27

Posted on: September 23, 2022
The Gate House

Airbnb revenue supports tourism

Posted on: August 11, 2022