Tree Maintenance

Property owners in Edmond are fully responsible for the maintenance of all trees on their properties, including trees growing within the right-of-way, also known as "street trees". However, City of Edmond Urban Forestry may provide assistance with the maintenance or removal of hazardous trees originating within the right-of-way on a case-by-case basis. The purpose for this service is the protection of public safety and enhancement of urban forest health and benefits. Most of the work performed includes removal of trees or pruning of branches that are at high risk for failure. Additionally, pruning for low limb clearance may be available for street trees that are located on arterial and major collector streets.

If you are aware of a tree growing from the public right-of-way that may need removal or pruning due to hazardous defects, please contact us. We will inspect the issue and any prescribed tree work will be supervised by an International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) Certified Arborist.

How do I determine if a tree is growing in the “right-of-way”?

Trees that are considered to be growing in the right-of-way include those trees with the trunk originating in the public right-of-way. The public right-of-way spans the street and usually (though not always) may be measured about 10-12’ from the curb into a lot. Public right-of-way widths do vary widely from area to area, but here are a few things to look for that can help determine the approximate location for the right-of-way boundary:

  • Driveway expansion joint
  • Location of survey pins
  • Location of public sidewalks
  • Presence of utilities (unless an easement is shown on the property plat)
These indicators are not always representative of right-of-way boundaries, but they do serve as helpful guidelines when determining whether a tree is a street tree or a private tree.

What about issues with private trees?

Issues caused by privately owned trees (trees originating outside of the right-of-way) are the property owner’s responsibility to address regardless of where the issue is located. The City of Edmond Urban Forestry Department does not administer services to alleviate issues on your neighbor’s property that may affect yours. See Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Housing and Neighborhood Programs for information about potential assistance with hazardous issues on private trees.


Storm Damage and Your Tree - a guide for assessing storm damage on trees and actions to repair trees and mitigate risk.