What Can You Do?

Reducing Stormwater Pollution

The most effective way to reduce stormwater pollution is to stop it from entering the system in the first place. In other words, if we guard our local stormdrains, we can dramatically improve the water quality of our creeks, rivers, and lakes.

Hazardous Household Products

Household hazardous waste (HHW) is the unused or leftover portion of any hazardous chemicals or materials. Any leftover household product that is labeled with DANGER, WARNING, TOXIC, CAUTION, POISON, FLAMMABLE, CORROSIVE, or REACTIVE is considered a household hazardous waste. Many common household products are hazardous. If these products are not used and disposed of properly, they pollute our waterways. It is very important that these items never be dumped in a stormdrain. The Solid Waste Services Division of Edmond's Public Works offers Edmond's residents a convenient way to dispose of these hazardous products with the Household Hazardous Waste Disposal Program. Please visit their page for more information about the program.

Electronic Waste (E-waste)

Edmond's Solid Waste Services will also collect electronic waste (such as TV's, VCR's, etc.) through the Household Hazardous Waste Disposal Program. This ensures that e-waste will be recycled and not disposed of with the solid waste.

The Oklahoma Department of Environmental Quality (ODEQ) WILL NOT accept e-waste but ODEQ staff is happy to assist citizens locate businesses where they can dispose of their e-waste responsibly and, in most cases, for free! Please contact the following ODEQ employee for information on e-waste disposal:

Amanda Scofield
Computer Equipment Recycling
Land Protection Division
(405) 702-5118

Additional Resources

For additional information, visit ODEQ's e-waste and computer recycling webpage